Re: Sigh, my old HPUX box is totally broken by DSM patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Sigh, my old HPUX box is totally broken by DSM patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> I agree with Robert that it's odd and obnoxious that the call doesn't just
> return with errno = ENOSYS.  However, looking in the archives turns up
> this interesting historical info:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/25564.962066659@sss.pgh.pa.us

Wow, well, good on HPUX for trying to run the code you told it to..

> I wonder whether, if we went back to blocking SIGSYS, we could expect that
> affected calls would return ENOSYS (clearly preferable), or if that would
> just lead to some very strange behavior.  Other archive entries mention
> that you get SIGSYS on Cygwin if the Cygwin support daemon isn't running,
> so that's at least one place where we'd want to check the behavior.

Would this make sense as a configure-time check, rather than initdb, to
try blocking SIGSYS and checking for an ENOSYS from shm_open()?  Seems
preferrable to do that in a configure check rather than initdb.
Thanks,
    Stephen