Re: Advice - indexing on varchar fields where only last x characters known - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Advice - indexing on varchar fields where only last x characters known
Date
List pgsql-sql
Gary Stainburn wrote:

> The problem that I have is that these VIN numbers are provided by a number of
> data systems including manufacturer feeds, logistics companies as well as
> internal systems. Some use the full 17 character string while others only use
> the last 11.
>
> On top of this, my users are used to only having to type the last 6 characters
> for speed and usability reasons.

Try creating an index on reverse(vin) and using the same function in
queries; you can put a % at the end of the sought-for literal to match
suffixes.  That works quite well and is very simple to implement.