Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:14:27AM -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
>     The assumption that each connection won't use lots of work_mem is also
>     false, I think, especially in these days of connection poolers.
>

> I don't follow that.  Why would using a connection pooler change the multiples
> of work_mem that a connection would use?

I assume that a connection pooler would keep processes running longer,
so even if they were not all using work_mem, they would have that memory
mapped into the process, and perhaps swapped out.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +