Re: dynamic shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: dynamic shared memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 08:58:36AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > I don't know whether writing it as binary will help or hurt that situation.
> > If nothing else, binary gives you one less variation to think about when
> > studying the code.
>
> In that case, shouldn't all other places be consistent. One reason I
> had in mind for
> using appropriate mode is that somebody reading code can tomorrow come
> up with a question or a
> patch to use correct mode, then we will again be in same situation.

There are cases that must use binary I/O (table data files), cases that
benefit notably from text I/O (log files, postgresql.conf), and cases where it
doesn't matter too much (dsm state file, postmaster.pid).  I don't see a need
to make widespread changes to other call sites.

--
Noah Misch
EnterpriseDB                                 http://www.enterprisedb.com