Re: Where to load modules from? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Where to load modules from?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-09-19 22:56:52 +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> >> I think I'd prefer a GUC that allows specifying multiple directories
> >> that are searched in order to a single symlinked directory.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > I ask because I have the opposite preference, based on the precedent
> > of pg_xlog.

Because I want to specify multiple paths. E.g. one with modules for a
specific postgres version, one for the cluster and one for my
development directory.
Now we could recursively search a directory that contains symlinks to
directories, but that seems ugly.

> I understand Andres preference, as it would allow a management somewhat
> comparable to PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH here.

> In an effort to reach consensus, what about having both, with the GUC
> being empty by default? That way you have a default per-cluster place
> where to stuff binaries to be loaded, and a GUC to manage finer settings
> if needs be.

Well, we can have the guc have a default value of $datadir/pg_lib or
such. But using two independent mechanisms seems like a bad idea to me.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services