Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Amit Kapila (amit.kapila16@gmail.com) wrote:
> So let me try to explain what I understood from above:
>
> 1. enable_alter_system a new GUC whose default value =off.
> 2. Alter System will check this variable and return error (not
> allowed), if this parameter is off.
> 3. Now if user enables include directive in postgresql.conf, it will
> enable Alter System as value of
>     enable_alter_system is on.
> 4. User can run Alter System command to disable Alter System
> "enable_alter_system = off".
>     Now even though include directive is enabled, but new Alter System
> commands will not work, however
>     existing parameter's take into effect on restart/sighup.

Yes.  Not sure that it'd be terribly likely for a user to do that, but
if they do it, so be it.
    Thanks,
        Stephen