Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila escribió:

>    3. postgresql.conf will contain include directive in below form:
>        #include = 'postgresql.auto.conf'
>        Whenever user wants to use Alter System, he needs to enable it
> after first time using ALTER SYSTEM.

This seems wrong to me.  If the auto file is read by an include line in
postgresql.conf, what is its priority w.r.t. files placed in an
hypothetical conf.d directory?  Hopefully snippets put in conf.d/ by
puppet/chef will override the settings in postgresql.conf (i.e. conf.d/
should be processed after postgresql.conf, not before); and hopefully
ALTER SYSTEM will in turn override conf.d.  I see no way to have ALTER
SYSTEM handled by an include line, yet still have it override conf.d.

If we want to make ALTER SYSTEM disable-able from postgresql.conf, I
think it should be an explicit option, something like
enable_alter_system = on
or something like that.