Re: Proposal: leave a hint when switching logging away from stderr - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Proposal: leave a hint when switching logging away from stderr
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 10:32:17PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The attached patch is motivated by
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJYQwwRYt9RMBzs-sH6uCr1OTG4joXqkDF-fkoYP6pv12t0dsQ@mail.gmail.com

> This patch arranges to emit a hint message when/if we switch away from
> logging to the original postmaster stderr during startup.  There are two
> cases to cover: we're still using LOG_DESTINATION_STDERR but redirecting
> stderr to a syslogger process, or we stop writing to stderr altogether,
> presumably in favor of going to syslog or something.

At LOG level, this feels a bit chatty: it's a 100% increase in startup-time
messages if you count both the main message and the HINT.  I can't think of
another program with configuration-directed logging that does this on every
startup.  Makes perfect sense to me at DEBUG1, though, and that would have
been enough for the situation you cite above.

--
Noah Misch
EnterpriseDB                                 http://www.enterprisedb.com