Re: MultiXactId concept underdocumented - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: MultiXactId concept underdocumented
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2013-08-07 21:25:06 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The new MultiXactId concept appears in a number of user-facing error
> messages, including in the scary context of transaction ID wraparound,
> so it seems kind of important, but it doesn't appear to be documented in
> any user-facing places.  Should this be rectified?  Maybe some of the
> material from README.tuplock should be moved to the user manual.  Maybe
> a less jargony term could be found as well.

Multixacts aren't really new, they've been there since 8.1 or so. It's
just that their use has been a bit expanded and that their internal
format changed a bit.

WRT user facing messages: I think it'd suffice to explain the
anti-wraparound part of the docs that the same holds true for
multixacts. Doing a more detailed explanation seems to require a good
amount of low level explanations and thus seems unlikely to be actually
read.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services