Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- wrapping it up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Kudos for Reviewers -- wrapping it up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug  7, 2013 at 10:04:08AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > There are three issues here:
> >
> > 1.  What will best motive reviewers?
> > 2.  What is a reasonable effort to accomplish #1?
> > 3.  What is acceptable for release note readers?
> >
> > You seem to be only focused on #1, and you don't want to address the
> > other items --- that's fine --- I will still be around if people lose
> > interest or the system becomes unworkable.
>
> Both I and other people have already addressed #2 and #3.  You're also
> having a huge failure of perspective here.  Motivating reviewers allows
> our project to continue developing PostgreSQL.  Items 2 and 3 are so
> insignificant in comparison to that as to not be worth discussing.

OK, my analysis was accurate then --- for you, #1 overshadows numbers 2
and 3.  I don't share those priorities, and the work required is
unbounded (no #2), so I will not perform additional work to help with
#1.

> In the novels The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, there's a spaceship
> which has been waiting 1000 years to take off because it's waiting for a
> load of lemon-soaked paper napkins to be loaded.  You are being Mr.
> Lemon-Soaked Paper Napkin.

Actually, for me, motiving reviewers seems like the Lemon-Soaked Paper
Napkins, as it requires unbounded effort and its importance is not being
balanced with other priorities.

http://enterprisedb.com