Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb@cybertec.at>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug  6, 2013 at 06:34:35PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> >* Greg Stark (stark@mit.edu) wrote:
> >>Extensions are actually a pretty good argument for why conf.d in /etc
> >>(or wherever the non-auto-config is) is pretty important useful.
> >>That's the kind of thing conf.d directories are meant for. A user can
> >>install a package containing an extension and the extension would
> >>automatically drop in the config entries needed in that directory.
> >Agreed, though I think there should be a difference between "shared
> >library load" being added-to for extensions, and "random
> >extension-specific GUC"..
>
> Now that you mention "shared library load", it may be a good idea
> to add an "append-to-this-GUC" flag instead of overwriting the
> previous value. Two GUCs may make use of it: shared_preload_libraries
> and local_preload_libraries. It would make packagers' of extensions
> and DBA's lives easier.

'search_path' might also use it, though we might need append and
prepend.

http://enterprisedb.com