Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Disabling ALTER SYSTEM SET WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug  5, 2013 at 02:52:40PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > However,
> > frankly, these are flat files, so I don't see a problem with having the
> > administrator modify the flat file.
>
> Admins on Ubuntu or Debian or a host of their derivatives aren't going
> to be looking in $PGDATA for config files that they have to hand-modify
> to fix something the DBA did.  When they eventually figure it out,
> they're going to be *very* unhappy.

Well, can you assume that if you have a problem with one of your ALTER
SYSTEM SET commands, that disabling _all_ of them is going to get you a
running system?  I question that, e.g. port.  With postgresql.conf, you
can modify the bad entry, but how would that happen with ALTER SYSTEM
SET?

http://enterprisedb.com