Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost escribió:
> * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > What if you set a combination of parameters that prevents Postgres from
> > starting?
>
> This was what I was trying to get at up-thread.  Things that prevent PG
> from being able to start (or, really, which cause PG to be started in a
> completely different mode, ala recovery.conf) need to be able to be
> modified outside of PG and therefore should, imv, be considered
> configuration parameters and therefore live outside of $PGDATA (when
> installed from a distro, blah, blah).

I think the way out of this situation is to have a postmaster and/or
pg_ctl switch that disables reading of ALTER SYSTEM settings.  Then the
DBA can do ALTER SYSTEM RESET until it works again.  No need to mess
with "data" files.