Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Amit Kapila (amit.kapila@huawei.com) wrote:
>   Yes, this can be viable option to ignore variable values that don't allow
> server to start, also I agree with you that
>   this can be a separate patch.

I disagree that this can be a separate patch.  Adding an option to not
allow certain GUCs from being modified through this mechanism should be
trivial.  Then, *after* we have such utility that will allow users to
fix a bad situation, we can consider relaxing those restrictions to
allow more values to be set.  I still contend that there will be some
GUCs that simply don't make any sense to have in the auto-conf area of
PGDATA.
Thanks,
    Stephen