Re: Review: UNNEST (and other functions) WITH ORDINALITY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Review: UNNEST (and other functions) WITH ORDINALITY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Greg Stark (stark@mit.edu) wrote:
> So given that WITH ORDINALITY is really only useful for UNNEST and we
> can generalize it to all SRFs on the basis that Postgres SRFs do
> produce ordered sets not unordered relations it isn't crazy for the
> work to be in the Function node.

I agree, it isn't *crazy*. :)

> Now that I've written that though it occurs to me to wonder whether
> FDW tables might be usefully said to be ordered too though?

My thought around this was a VALUES() construct, but FDWs are an
interesting case to consider also; with FDWs it's possible that
something is said in SQL/MED regarding this question- perhaps it would
make sense to look there?
Thanks,
    Stephen