Re: Why are there no inequality scans for ctid? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Why are there no inequality scans for ctid?
Date
List pgsql-general
Re: hubert depesz lubaczewski 2013-06-28 <20130628085246.GA25949@depesz.com>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:21:10PM +0530, Atri Sharma wrote:
> > How would this be helpful for general use cases? Querying on tids on a
> > specific page doesn't seem too useful for any other case than the one
> > you mentioned above, and IMHO it seems to be the job of vacuum.
> > I may be missing something here though.
>
> Vacuum doesn't move rows around (as far as I can tell by running vacuum
> ~ 100 times on bloated table).
>
> And as for general case - sure. It's not really useful aside from bloat
> removal, but I think that bloat removal is important enough to warrant
> some help from Pg.

It would also be useful for querying broken tables where you "SELECT *
FROM badtable WHERE ctid < '(123,0)';" to avoid dying on a bad block.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/