Re: all_visible replay aborting due to uninitialized pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: all_visible replay aborting due to uninitialized pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-05-29 03:56:38 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-05-28 21:36:17 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > > Guessing around I looked and noticed the following problematic pattern:
> > > 1) A: wants to do an update, doesn't have enough freespace
> > > 2) A: extends the relation on the filesystem level (RelationGetBufferForTuple)
> > > 3) A: does PageInit (RelationGetBufferForTuple)
> > > 4) A: aborts, e.g. due to a serialization failure (heap_update)
> > >
> > > At this point the page is initialized in memory, but not wal logged. It
> > > isn't pinned or locked either.
> > >
> > > 5) B: vacuum finds that page and it's empty. So it marks it all
> > > visible. But since the page wasn't written out (we haven't even marked
> > > it dirty in 3.) the standby doesn't know that and reports the page as
> > > being uninitialized.
> > >
> > > ISTM the best backbranchable fix for this is to teach lazy_scan_heap to
> > > log an FPI for the heap page via visibilitymap_set in that rather
> > > limited case.
> > >
> > > Happy to provide a patch unless somebody has a better idea?
> >
> > Good catch.  However, I would suggest using log_newpage() before
> > visibilitymap_set() rather than trying to stick extra logic into
> > visibilitymap_set().  I think that will be cleaner and simpler.
>
> Thought about that, but given that 9.3's visibilitymap_set already will
> already FPI heap pages I concluded it wouldn't really be an improvement
> since it's only one ||log_heap_page or so there. Not sure what's
> better. Will write the patch and see how it goes.

Ended up using log_newpage_buffer since reusing visibilitymap_set's
record would break the wal format as we currently do not accept an FPI
on the heap pages during replay when < 9.3. Forcing to upgrade the
client first would be rather unfriendly...

That has the disadvantage of logging a full heap page since it doesn't
use the hole optimization but this happens really infrequently, so ...

I don't think this can happen < 9.2 in at least this code path. I wonder
though if there are other codepaths were this can happen although I
haven't found any on a cursory inspection.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment