Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade fails, "mismatch of relation OID" - 9.1.9 to 9.2.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade fails, "mismatch of relation OID" - 9.1.9 to 9.2.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May  8, 2013 at 02:27:18PM -0400, Evan D. Hoffman wrote:
> If you want to start the old cluster, you will need to remove
> the ".old" suffix from /var/lib/pgsql/9.1/data/global/pg_control.old.
> Because "link" mode was used, the old cluster cannot be safely
> started once the new cluster has been started.
>
> Linking user relation files
>   /var/lib/pgsql/9.1/data/base/16406/3016054
> Mismatch of relation OID in database "dbname": old OID 2938685, new OID 299721
> Failure, exiting

[ Moved to hackers ]

OK, that is odd.  We preserve old/new OIDs, (not relfilenode, as someone
suggested in this thread);  FYI:
*  FYI, while pg_class.oid and pg_class.relfilenode are initially the same*  in a cluster, but they can diverge due to
CLUSTER,REINDEX, or VACUUM*  FULL.  The new cluster will have matching pg_class.oid and*  pg_class.relfilenode values
andbe based on the old oid value.  This can*  cause the old and new pg_class.relfilenode values to differ.  In
summary,* old and new pg_class.oid and new pg_class.relfilenode will have the*  same value, and old
pg_class.relfilenodemight differ.

The problem reported is that pg_dump was not able to preserve the
old/new oids between clusters.  Can you get the answer for this query on
the old cluster:
       SELECT relname from pg_class where oid = 2938685;

and on the new cluster, assuming you used 'copy' mode so you can start
the old/new clusters indepdendently:
       SELECT relname from pg_class where oid = 299721;

I think we will find that there is something in pg_dump related to this
table that isn't preserving the oids.

http://enterprisedb.com