Re: pg_dump --snapshot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pg_dump --snapshot
Date
Re: pg_dump --snapshot  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Its rather useful if you e.g. want to instantiate a new replica without
> rebuilding pg_dump/pg_restore's capabilities wrt. ordering, parallelism,
> separating initial data load from index creation and all that. Which
> already has been incompletely reinvented by several solutions :(.

Perhaps it's just a wording thing, but I wouldn't use the term "replica"
when referring to something built with pg_dump/restore- that should
really be reserved for a slave system created through replication.

> So besides the above and real problems you point out this seems
> worthwile to me...

It certainly sounds interesting and I like the idea of it, but perhaps
we need a different mechanism than just passing in a raw snapshot, to
address the concerns that Tom raised.
Thanks,
    Stephen