Re: Installing multiple instances of Postgred on one FreeBSD server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: Installing multiple instances of Postgred on one FreeBSD server
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 01:58:21PM -0600, Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:
> I would like to install PG 9.2 on the same server and use Slony to
> replicate the databases, and once everything is up take the 9.0 cluster
> down.

allocate a new ip to the server.
reconfigure/restart 9.0 to listen on the main IP (not "all" as default)

use ezjail to create a freebsd jail on thenew IP

install 9.2 in the jail

treat it them as two servers.

point clients at new ip.

once migrated, delete all 9.0 from the main server.

if you need to upgrade again, add another jail.

stop and delete the old jail whe the next upgrade is complete.

repeat as often as you want to upgrade.

i'm pretty sure this can be adapted to linux, but i forget what their jail equivilent is.

the overhead is minimal

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"