Re: Couple of issues with pg_xlogdump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Couple of issues with pg_xlogdump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund escribió:
> On 2013-04-23 15:16:05 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> > > It works without either if you use explicit options like -s STARTADDR
> > > and -p PATH which is frequently useful to just print a few records at
> > > the correct point. I am not sure how could put that in there without
> > > making it too complicated. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > Ah ok. Can we mention these details at in the documentation ?
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgxlogdump.html
>
> So something like:
> At least one of STARTSEG, --start and --path or --rmgr=list has to be
> specified.

I think we need more than one synopsis line.  Maybe

Usage: pg_xlogdump [OPTION] --path=PATH --start=STARTPOS pg_xlogdump [OPTION] [STARTSEG [ENDSEG]]

And then, under "options", do not list --path and --start (because
that'd imply they can be used when STARTSEG is specified, which I
understand they cannot).

Do we have any other possible operation mode?  IIRC those are the only
two possible modes.