Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> These are all good points.  The vulnerability that got Heroku early
> access was a network port vulnerability.  A different type of
> vulnerability might _not_ have gotten them early access, and might have
> gotten someone else early access.  This port vulnerability was of a
> severity that historically we only see every five years, so it is hard
> to come up with a policy that might not be exercised for another five
> years.

I'm not a fan of building some massive table of who has what exposures
that we need to go and consult every time we have a security fix.
There's either "ok, certain people should know about this ahead of time"
and "this is small-potatoes and doesn't really need early notice", which
mainly boils down into unauthenticated vs. authenticated
vulnerabilities, imv.

I do agree, however, that each security issue needs to be considered
independently on a case-by-case basis.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment