Re: Fetching Server configured port from C Module - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Fetching Server configured port from C Module
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 01:08:18PM -0600, Mike Roest wrote:
> Hi There,
>    I'm having a bit of an issue finding a C function to fetch the configured
> server port from a C module.
>
> We have written a C module to allow for remote clients to call a function to
> run pg_dump/pg_restore remotely but create files locally on the db server.
>
> Currently it works fine if the client connects through a network socket as
> we're using inet_server_port to get the port to pass onto pg_dump/restore.  But
> if the client is connected through a unix socket (actually a remote client
> connecting to pgbouncer which is connecting to postgres though the unix socket)
> inet_server_port is null.  I've looked for a function that we can use to get
> the configured server port but haven't had any luck.
>
> I could hard code the port in the module when we build it but it would be nice
> to be able to change the configured postgres port and not have to rebuild the
> module.

Well, there are technically no _ports_ in unix-domain sockets.  However,
the TCP port number is used to construct the socket file;  I think you
can use the simple "port" server-side variable for this;  does this help
you?

    test=> SELECT setting FROM pg_settings WHERE name = 'port';
     setting
    ---------
     5432
    (1 row)