Re: BUG #8058: CLUSTER and VACUUM FULL fail to free space - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #8058: CLUSTER and VACUUM FULL fail to free space
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2013-04-12 08:34:24 +0000, daniel@heroku.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      8058
> Logged by:          Daniel Farina
> Email address:      daniel@heroku.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.13
> Operating system:   Ubuntu 10.04
>
> We have a somewhat high-churn table acting as a queue, and over time it's
> grown to be something like a gigabyte.  I surmised it might be vanilla
> bloat, but the truth seems somewhat more exotic because both VACUUM FULL and
> CLUSTER generated absolutely no new free space.
>
> In the end, ALTER TABLE and CREATE TABLE ... (LIKE) ran nearly instantly and
> got the table size down to a few hundred K from 900M.
>
> This caused quite a few problems because would normally be cheap index scan
> over a mere 100 tuples were taking a few seconds.
>
> There are TOASTed fields on this table, ranging in a few hundred bytes of
> text per attribute.
>
> We have retained the old bloated table so we can poke at it.

Could it be that you have old transactions around? That would explain
the issue since CLUSTER et al. will preserve rows that are still visible
to some existing transaction while CREATE TABLE ... LIKE won't.

Typical suspects would be longrunning (idle in) transactions or prepared
transactions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund