Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 2013-04-09 13:59:29 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > Also, it changes how privileged the people that get access to the
> > vulnerability are. If they are allowed to install at the same time as
> > everyone else its somewhat fair game, otherwise there will be people
> > making a marketing distinction out of their privileged access.
>
> I do not consider this a game where everyone should be treated 'fairly'
> wrt their exposure to attackers.  I would be open to including something
> in the policy which discourages members from advertising their
> membership as a marketing distinction, but I'm not convinced that it's
> necessary.

Note that I am not saying that it has to be fair. I haven't yet made up
my mind about it, I am just saying its a fair point to make. And I think
the increased exposure and thus increased likelihood of leakage due to
more widespread usage holds some weight, completely independent of the
argument of fairness.

Greetings,

Andres Freund