Re: Enabling Checksums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Enabling Checksums
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-03-23 15:36:03 +0200, Ants Aasma wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >> Andres showed that switching out the existing CRC for zlib's would
> >> result in 8-30% increase in INSERT-SELECT speed
> >> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201005202227.49990.andres@anarazel.de)
> >> with the speeded up CRC still showing up as 10% of the profile. So I
> >> guess another 5% speedup by doing the CRC 8 bytes at a time instead of
> >> the used 4. And another couple % by using Fletcher or SIMD.
> >
> > I am not sure the considerations for WAL are the same as for page checksums -
> > the current WAL code only computes the CRCs in rather small chunks, so very
> > pipelineable algorithms/implementations don't necessarly show the same benefit
> > for WAL as they do for page checksums...
>
> Sure, but I think that WAL checksums are not a big overhead in that case anyway.

I have seen profiles that indicate rather the contrary... Even in the optimal
case of no FPWs a single heap_insert() results in the CRC computed in 5 steps
or so. 4 of them over potentially noncontiguous pointer addressed memory.
If you add an index or two where the situation is the same the slowdown is not
all that surprising.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services