Re: PostgreSQL EXCLUDE USING error: Data type integer has no default operator class - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ryan Kelly
Subject Re: PostgreSQL EXCLUDE USING error: Data type integer has no default operator class
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 03/22/13, 2013 at 10:14:45AM -0600, Denver Timothy wrote:
> In PostgreSQL 9.2.3 I am trying to create this simplified table:
>
>     CREATE TABLE test (
>         user_id INTEGER,
>         startend TSTZRANGE,
>         EXCLUDE USING gist (user_id WITH =, startend WITH &&)
>     );
>
> But I get this error:
>
>     ERROR:  data type integer has no default operator class for access method "gist"
>     HINT:  You must specify an operator class for the index or define a default operator class for the data type.
>
> I've spent quite a bit of time searching for hints on figuring out how to make this work, or figuring out why it
won'twork. I've also been trying to understand CREATE OPERATOR and CREATE OPERATOR CLASS, but those are over my head
fornow. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

CREATE EXTENSION btree_gist;

-Ryan Kelly