Re: log_destination - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: log_destination
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Magnus Hagander 2013-03-05 <CABUevEyxztj1myF_sdpujeQrKzgfH+DAQd2sNfD-uxizw_9s8g@mail.gmail.com>
> Is there a particular reason why we're not using the postgresql log
> collector in the debian packages, instead relying on pg_ctl -l, other
> than this being legacy from back before we even had the log collector?

The problem is that errors during early startup (syntax errors in
postgresql.conf, port unavailable, shmmax, whatever) will not go into
the logging collector, but will still appear in the "pg_ctl -l" log
file. Changing the default here would mean the admin had to check two
log files if the server doesn't even start.

pg_ctl -l ~/logfile -o '--logging-collector=on --log-destination=stderr --log-directory=pg_log --ffo=bla' start

-> complains about "ffo" in ~/logfile

Apart from that, I agree that the logging collector would be a lot
nicer than the current logrotate rules with the "copytruncate"
insanity.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/