Re: gitweb is no longer a real-time view - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: gitweb is no longer a real-time view
Date
List pgsql-www
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> cron job?  I was under the impression there was some sort of push
> operation driven by a commit trigger.  The web site has certainly
> updated nearly immediately for as long as we've been using git.
> Until this week, that is.

Curiously, there's two cron jobs, apparently.  There's a 'push' one and
then another, independent, 'pull' one.  I'll assume they're actually
doing different things, but I wonder if the pull isn't just a
hold-over..  In any case, the push-to-anon, which I hadn't seen
initially (looking at the pull side instead of the push side), does run
once a minute, though it looks like there's a hook mechanism which
would allow us to trigger the webserver to do a pull when a commit
happens and would still be better than a once-a-minute cronjob.

Even with that, however, the concern raised was that the gitweb perl
script is quite expensive to run for every request, hence the reason for
doing the cacheing.  I've lowered the varnish cacheing to a 5m ttl and
15m grace and I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks,
    Stephen