Re: Optimizing pglz compressor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Optimizing pglz compressor
Date
Re: Optimizing pglz compressor  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I spotted this while looking at Amit's WAL update delta encoding
> patch. My earlier suggestion to just use the pglz compressor for the
> delta encoding didn't work too well because the pglz compressor was
> too expensive, especially for small values. This patch might help
> with that..
>
> In summary, this seems like a pretty clear win for short values, and
> a wash for long values. Not surprising, as this greatly lowers the
> startup cost of pglz_compress(). We're past feature freeze, but how
> would people feel about committing this?

Surely we're not past feature freeze.  If we were, we'd have to reject
all remaining patches from the commitfest, which is not what we want to
do at this stage, is it?

My take on this is that if this patch is necessary to get Amit's patch
to a commitable state, it's fair game.