Re: logging full queries separately - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Rouillard
Subject Re: logging full queries separately
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:52:49AM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2013, at 9:59 AM, John Rouillard wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:55:07AM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> The one huge downside to this is that the logs are so noisy, it's
> >> hard to track down errors and stats real-time since the query logging
> >> is so noisy.
> >> [...]
> >> Right now I'm considering just switching to syslog-ng or rsyslog
> >> and seeing if there's a way I can parse the non-query messages
> >> out and dump them in another logfile…  Any pointers on that?
> >
> > I use SEC for log analysis and I identify query logs by looking for
> > the duration entry in the first line. Then pull the triplet of:
> >
> >   hostname, pid and log line id (the 5 in [5-2], [5-3] etc.)
> >
> > and find all the rest of the lines by matching that triplet.
>
> I'm having sort of the opposite problem - for pgbadger, I simply log
> everything and that's easy enough.
>
> For real-time human consumption, I want to filter out all the
> statements so I'm just left with errors, periodic stats, notices of
> temporary tables being created, etc.  But what really screws me up
> on that match is the multi-line output:
>
> Feb 19 05:06:16 j15 postgres[32818]: [28-2] db=collects,user=collects STATEMENT:  select count(distinct s.sub_id) as
subscribers,count(distinct ls.id) as subscriptions
> Feb 19 05:06:16 j15 postgres[32818]: [28-3]           from   list l
> Feb 19 05:06:16 j15 postgres[32818]: [28-4]             join list_sub ls  on (l.list_id = ls.list_id)
>
> First line, easy enough, if I see "STATEMENT", throw it away.
>
> It's those next two lines.  And rsyslog is doing line-by-line
> processing on filters.

Yeah rsyslog can't do that. Nothing that looks like by line and
doesn't keep state can really do that. That's why I use SEC.

> I suppose my other option is to find every possible prefix
> (STATEMENT, LOG, ERROR, and who knows how many others) and do a
> positive match for all of those rather than trying to negate the
> statements.

You could generate a set of include filters, but some of those
staments (e.g. errors) can also be multi line so you will get only the
first line and miss the rest of the detail. That may be sufficent for
your use case, but I know it wasn't for any of mine.

> Here's a rough example in rsyslog's config format:
>
> } else if $fromhost-ip == '10.99.88.22' then {
>         local0.*                                /var/log/j15/pgsql-full
>         if not $msg contains 'STATEMENT' then   /var/log/j15/pgsql-brief
> }
>
> I suspect I'm going to have to instead explicitly match everything
> that's not a "STATEMENT".  Just need to figure out what the full
> list is.  I think that part of the log line corresponds to "%i" in
> log_line_prefix.

Well in your example above the line with [28-3] is not a STATEMENT, so
you will have to get all the possible labels ERROR, WARNING, stats...
It may be easier if you throw away all lines but the first in any
series of messages. You can use something like:

   if not $msg contains '-1]' then  /dev/null

(or if you can use regexp's use: ': \[\d+-1\]') earlier in your rules
to toss all the continuation lines away. Then you have just a series
of filters that looks for the ERROR, STTEMENT, WARNING keywords that
occur on the first lines. I have not found that to be very helpful in
the past as the important info is often in the continuation lines but
YMMV.

--
                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111