Re: src/ports/pgcheckdir.c - Ignore dot directories... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: src/ports/pgcheckdir.c - Ignore dot directories...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 07:21:27PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Agreed.  The attached patch modifies pg_check_dir() to report about
> > invisible and lost+found directory entries, and give more helpful
> > messages to the user.
>
> I'm not terribly thrilled with special-casing 'lost+found' like that,
> since it's an extremely filesystem-dependent thing that even today
> probably only applies to a minority of our installed platforms.
>
> The special case for dotfiles might be useful, not because of any
> connection to mount points but just because someone might forget
> that such could be lurking in a directory that "looks empty".

I was ready to give up on this patch, but then I thought, what
percentage does lost+found and dot-file-only directories cover for mount
points?  What other cases are there?

This updated version of the patch reports about dot files if they are
the _only_ files in the directory, and it suggests a top-level mount
point might be the cause.

Does this help?

Attachment