Re: BUG #7493: Postmaster messages unreadable in a Windows console - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: BUG #7493: Postmaster messages unreadable in a Windows console
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 03:22:17AM +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> But that said I'm not sure saying the whole file is in an encoding is
> the right approach. Paths are actually binary strings. any encoding is
> purely for display purposes anyways.

For Unix, yes.  On Windows, they're ultimately UTF16 strings; some system APIs
accept paths in the Windows ANSI code page and convert to UTF16 internally.
Nonetheless, good point.

> What parts of postgresql.conf are actually encoded strings that need
> to be (and can be) manipulated as encoded strings?

Mainly the ones that refer to arbitrary database objects.  At least these:

default_tablespace
default_text_search_config
search_path
temp_tablespaces