Re: GetOldestXmin going backwards is dangerous after all - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: GetOldestXmin going backwards is dangerous after all
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-02-02 18:32:44 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 2 February 2013 14:24, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> > b) We don't assign the xmin early enough, we only set it when the first
> > feedback message arrives, but we should set it when walsender starts
> > streaming.
>
> That's easy to fix.

Not trivial, but not too hard, yes. When the standby initially connects
we don't yet know which xid will be required because consistency hasn't
yet been achieved.

> > c) After a disconnect the feedback message will rather likely ask for an
> > xmin horizon thats not valid anymore on the primary. If the disconnect
> > was short enough often enough that doesn't matter because nothing has
> > been cleared out, but it doesn't really work all that well.
> > Thats still better than setting it to the currently valid minimal xmin
> > horizon because it prevents cleanup from that moment on.
> > I don't see how this can be significantly improved without persistent
> > knowledge about standbys.
>
> We could delay startup of the standby until the xmin on the standby
> reaches the xmin on the master.
>
> So when the standby has hot_standby_feedback = on,  at standby
> connection we set the xmin of the walsender to be the current value on
> the master, then we disallow connections on standby until we have
> replayed up to that xmin on the standby. That way the xmin of the
> walsender never goes backwards nor do we get cancelations on the
> standby.

Thats easy enough when the standby is initially started but doesn't work
that well if just the connection between both failed (or the master was
restarted) and a reconnect worked. To make it work similarly in that
case we would have to throw everyone out which would kind of counteract
the whole idea.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services