Re: Question regarding Sync message and unnamed portal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Question regarding Sync message and unnamed portal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct  1, 2012 at 02:04:00PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> >> From the manual:
> >> "An unnamed portal is destroyed at the end of the transaction"
> >
> > Actually, all portals are destroyed at end of transaction (unless
> > they're from holdable cursors).  Named or not doesn't enter into it.
>
> We need to fix the document then.

I looked into this.  The text reads:
If successfully created, a named prepared-statement object lasts tillthe end of the current session, unless explicitly
destroyed. An unnamedprepared statement lasts only until the next Parse statement specifyingthe unnamed statement as
destinationis issued.

While the first statement does say "named", the next sentence says
"unnamed", so I am not sure we can make this any clearer.

http://enterprisedb.com