Re: BUG #7815: Upgrading PostgreSQL from 9.1 to 9.2 with pg_upgrade/postgreql-setup fails - invalid status retrieve - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #7815: Upgrading PostgreSQL from 9.1 to 9.2 with pg_upgrade/postgreql-setup fails - invalid status retrieve
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:45:15PM +0400, George Machitidze wrote:
> Hi Bruce, Tom
>
> >The backstory on this is at the cited Red Hat bug ... apparently the OP
> >decided I was clueless and he needed to consult some real authorities.
> Oh come on, I'm very sure you both are good guys and know what you are doing,
> none of us is ignorant bastard :)
> Decided to open case here too, because of simple reason - maybe someone had
> same issue, or knows how pg_upgrade works (in details) better than me, because
> I am clueless.
> This is test DB and I can erase it, but I'm very sure there's something wrong
> in upgrade process - this is what I want to be solved.
>
> Now, we can open a bottle of whiskey and go back to the problem:
> 1. I didn't run postmaster before/during pg_upgrade, it was never invoked
> manually in this process
> 2. There is no pid file AFTER application is stopped, but looks like it's there
> while pg_upgrade is running - strace showed that and there is no need to run
> FAM to verify that
>
> I don't know how pg_upgrade works, looks like it's trying to start postmaster,
> which runs, postmaster.pid is created, then postmaster fails stop or needs some
> more time bedore pg_upgrade is checking it's pid. That's what I see.
>
> So, is pg_upgrade starting postmaster? If yes, then when (at which step) and
> why pid file check is done. That's all what we all want to know, right?

The pid check is done before pg_upgrade starts or stops any postmaster,
to make sure both servers are down before it starts.  Tom wants that
testing improved.