Re: \copy (query) delimiter syntax error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: \copy (query) delimiter syntax error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> oh, good point. OK, I have cut this quick patch that will continue to
> accept the legacy syntax in psql in non-inline-query cases, but will
> make psql unreservedly emit new style syntax for COPY to the backend.
> Does that seem reasonable, or is it too much of a change for the stable
> branch?

We've never promised that psql's backslash commands would work at all
with older backends, so I think removing compatibility with pre-7.3
backends at this point isn't a problem.  OTOH, going out of your way
to remove compatibility seems a bit pointless, so I'd vote against the
"have_query" parts of this patch.  Just change the output format.