Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used
Date
In response to Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Pavel,

* Pavel Stehule (pavel.stehule@gmail.com) wrote:
> I found one issue - if I disallow mixing positional and ordered style
> I break compatibility with previous implementation.

Can you elaborate?  In the previous example, an error was returned when
mixing (not a terribly good one, but still an error).  Returning a
better error won't be a problem.

> so maybe third way is better - use fix from my patch - a behave is
> same like in glibc - and raise warning (instead errors) when mixing
> styles is detected - we can replace warnings by errors in future.
>
> What do you think?

If there are cases which work today then I agree that we should issue a
warning to avoid breaking existing applications.  We should still use
the glibc format when adding width support, however.
Thanks,
    Stephen