Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Inadequate thought about buffer locking during hot standby replay
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2012-11-09 18:24:25 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I can't prove that this is the cause of bug #7648, but it's fairly easy
> to see that it could explain the symptom.  You only need to assume that
> the page-being-split had been handled as a full-page image, and that the
> new right-hand page had gotten allocated by extending the relation.
> Then there will be an interval just after RestoreBkpBlocks does its
> thing where the updated left-hand sibling is in the index and is not
> locked in any way, but its right-link points off the end of the index.
> If a few indexscans come along before the replay process gets to
> continue, you'd get exactly the reported errors.

Sounds plausible.

> I'm inclined to think that we need to fix this by getting rid of
> RestoreBkpBlocks per se, and instead having the per-WAL-record restore
> routines dictate when each full-page image is restored (and whether or
> not to release the buffer lock immediately).  That's not going to be a
> small change unfortunately :-(

I wonder if we couldn't instead "fix" it by ensuring the backup blocks
are in the right order in the backup blocks at the inserting
location. That would "just" need some care about the order of
XLogRecData blocks.
I am pretty unfamiliar with the nbtree locking but I seem to remember
that we should be fine if we always restore from left to right?

Greetings,

Andres Freund