Re: Creating indexes in the background - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Creating indexes in the background
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Lee wrote:

> It seems like right now when you want to create an index
> concurrently, the index creation will get canceled if you cancel
> the statement (i.e. you must keep your statement open).
>
> Is there a way to "launch" an index creation in the background so
> that the statement doesn't need to be kept open?

You are asking on the wrong list; this list is for discussions
related to developing the PostgreSQL product itself. To ask questions
about how to *use* PostgreSQL, please use one of the other lists.
This sort of question belongs on the pgsql-general or pgsql-admin
list.

As long as I'm sending an email -- I usually run such queries on the
server, either through a crontab job (if it's a recurring need), an
"at" job (if it is a one-time off-hours need), or a background job.
The specifics will depend on your operating system, which is
something you should generally include in a question.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

-Kevin