Re: Global Sequences - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Global Sequences
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> > AIUI, PG-XC and PG-R need an order, so they both use an independent
> > system (eg, the PG-XC GTM) to provide that ordering.
>
> You're thinking of XIDs.  This is a proposal for user-defined sequences.

Right, I got that it's a proposal for user sequences.  I stand by my
comments regarding that proposal- if you're going to have all the
complexity of having to talk to some other system to figure out what
value(s) you can use, you might as well get an ordering with it.  If
that's not necessary, then doing pre-allocation is probably sufficient
and would provide a direct way, without having to ask any other system,
to figure out which system a given value is on.
Thanks,
    Stephen