Re: Potential autovacuum optimization: new tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Potential autovacuum optimization: new tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* David Johnston (polobo@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Instead of global could you attach an interface function to the table and have the auto-analyzer call that function
tobasically ask the table whether it needs to be analyzed?  Still need to deal with defaults and provide a decent
supplyof built-in algorithms but at least the system can be made tunable.  The default algorithm could maybe just
handoffto a table size specific handler.  The create table and alter table commands could be used to change the
assignedalgorithm if desired and new ones could be supplied via extensions.

For my part, while that's certainly an interesting idea, it's far more
complicated than even providing GUCs and the idea is to make PG just "do
it right", not to offer the user more ways to get it wrong...
Thanks,
    Stephen