Re: CTE optimization fence on the todo list? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: CTE optimization fence on the todo list?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> If we wanted to relax the fencing, we might need to do it via an SQL
> keyword on the SELECT, to avoid the confusion caused by GUCs.

I like the idea of providing a way for users to request non-fencing,
perhaps only allowed for SELECT CTEs.  I don't like the GUC approach.  I
also wonder if it'd make sense and/or be possible to have the fence
applied on a per-CTE basis (inside of the same overall query).  If we
add a keyword for this and it's not hard to do, I think that'd be a
really neat capability.  (No, unlike the OP, I don't have specific use
cases for that offhand, but why limit it to all or nothing for an entire
query..)
Thanks,
    Stephen