Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 09:59:02PM +0800, Rural Hunter wrote:
> [...]
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "zh_CN.UTF-8".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
> "zh_CN.UTF-8"
> The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".
>
> 2. Run pg_upgrade:
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin/pg_upgrade -b /opt/PostgreSQL/9.1/bin -B
> /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin -d /raid/pgsql -D /raid/pg92data -c
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking current, bin, and data directories ok
> Checking cluster versions ok
> Checking database user is a superuser ok
> Checking for prepared transactions ok
> Checking for reg* system OID user data types ok
> Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
>
> old and new cluster lc_collate values do not match
> Failure, exiting
>
> 3. initdb with --lc-collate:
> $ initdb --lc-collate=zh_CN.utf8
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locales
> COLLATE: zh_CN.utf8
> CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
> MESSAGES: zh_CN.UTF-8
> MONETARY: zh_CN.UTF-8
> NUMERIC: zh_CN.UTF-8
> TIME: zh_CN.UTF-8
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
> "zh_CN.UTF-8"
> The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".
>
> 4. try pg_upgrade again:
> $ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin/pg_upgrade -b /opt/PostgreSQL/9.1/bin -B
> /opt/PostgreSQL/9.2/bin -d /raid/pgsql -D /raid/pg92data -c
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking current, bin, and data directories ok
> Checking cluster versions ok
> Checking database user is a superuser ok
> Checking for prepared transactions ok
> Checking for reg* system OID user data types ok
> Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
>
> old and new cluster lc_ctype values do not match
> Failure, exiting
>
> 5. Run initdb with all those locale settings:
> $ initdb --lc-collate=zh_CN.utf8 --lc-ctype=zh_CN.utf8
> --lc-messages=zh_CN.utf8 --lc-monetary=zh_CN.utf8
> --lc-numeric=zh_CN.utf8 --lc-time=zh_CN.utf8
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale "zh_CN.utf8".
> The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
> initdb: could not find suitable text search configuration for locale
> "zh_CN.utf8"
> The default text search configuration will be set to "simple".

OK, that is good information.  pg_upgrade gets the locale and encoding
from the template0 database settings:
"SELECT datcollate, datctype ""FROM    pg_catalog.pg_database ""WHERE    datname = 'template0' ");

If your operating system locale/encoding names changed after the initdb
of the old cluster, this would not be reflected in template0.  I think
Peter is right that this might be as dash issue, utf8 vs utf-8.  Look at
the initdb output:

> 3. initdb with --lc-collate:
> $ initdb --lc-collate=zh_CN.utf8
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locales
> COLLATE: zh_CN.utf8
> CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
> MESSAGES: zh_CN.UTF-8
> MONETARY: zh_CN.UTF-8
> NUMERIC: zh_CN.UTF-8
> TIME: zh_CN.UTF-8

Notice colldate does not have dash, while ctype does.

Peter, ideas on a solution?

http://enterprisedb.com