Re: ossp-uuid Contrib Patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Wagner
Subject Re: ossp-uuid Contrib Patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:23:00PM -0700, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> Well given that OSSP seems to be abandon ware (no activity since July
> 2008), it might be time to dump it in favor of something else.

Perhaps this would be a good time to bring up my uuid code again.  I've
got a module for uuid support for postgres.  Originally written for 8.4
but I've kept it updated.  It's available at

https://pd.if.org/git/uuid.git

and for anonymous git cloning

git clone https://pd.f.org/git/uuid

The install directions are perhaps a bit lacking, but after the git
checkout:

cd uuid
make
cd postgres
make
sudo make install
psql -c 'create extension pduuid'

Installing to different schemas is supported also.  The postgres/README
file describes the supported features.  Briefly, my code supports uuid
generation of version 1, 3, 4, and 5 uuids, casting to and from numeric,
bit string, and bytea values, and provides a uuid_recent() function to
get the most recent  uuid generated in that backend.  The code is
entirely in the public domain.

At one point, it compiled on Windows and MacOS, but I haven't
tested that recently.  I don't think I have changed anything
that would affect compiling on those platforms.  IIRC, the
only platform dependent code is in figuring out a local
mac address and a sub-second timestamp.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

--
nw