Re: Draft release notes complete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Draft release notes complete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep  9, 2012 at 08:52:37PM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> >> It doesn't just build the docs. It makes the dist snapshots too.
> >
> > Thus making the turnaround time on a docs build even slower ... ?
> >
> >> And the old script often broke badly, IIRC.
> >
> > The script broke on occasion, but the main problem was that it wasn't
> > monitored.  Which is something that could have been fixed.
> >
> >> The current setup doesn't install
> >> anything if the build fails, which is a distinct improvement.
> >
> > You mean it doesn't build the docs if the code build fails?  Would that
> > really be an improvement?
>
> why would we want to publish docs for something that fails to build
> and/or fails to pass regression testing - to me code and the docs for it
> are a combined thing and there is no point in pushing docs for something
> that fails even basic testing...

Most of the cases I care about are doc-only commits.  Frankly, there is
a 99.9% chance thta if it was committed, it compiles.  We are only
displaying the docs, so why not just test for the docs.

It is this kind of run-around that caused me to generate my own doc
build in the past;  maybe I need to return to doing my own doc build.

http://enterprisedb.com