Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, September 04, 2012 06:20:59 AM Tom Lane wrote:
> > I can see why that would be nice, but is it really realistic? Don't we
> > expect some more diligence in applications using this against letting
> > such a child continue to run after ctrl-c/SIGTERMing e.g. pg_dump in
> > comparison to closing a normal database connection?
>
> Er, what?  If you kill the client, the child postgres will see
> connection closure and will shut down.  I already tested that with the
> POC patch, it worked fine.
Well, but that will make scripting harder because you cannot start another
single backend pg_dump before the old backend noticed it, checkpointed and
shut down.

Andres
--
Andres Freund        http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/