Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Monday, September 03, 2012 10:23:52 PM Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that we can't pass these
> parameters through the regular libpq connection string mechanism, and
> will have to invent something else.  That's awfully nasty though;
> it will pretty much cripple the idea that this would be a simple way to
> invoke a quasi-embedded variant of Postgres.
What I am asking myself is: why does that have to go through the normal
PQconnectdb*  api? This is something completely new and very well might grow
more features that are not necessarily easy to press into PQconnectdb().

PQServer
PQstartServer(const char **keywords, const char **values);

or whatever seems to be more future proof especially considering the
possibility that this will grow into something more featureful.

Greetings,

Andres
--
Andres Freund        http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/