Re: BUG #7500: hot-standby replica crash after an initial rsync - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #7500: hot-standby replica crash after an initial rsync
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 05:32:31 PM Stuart Bishop wrote:
> I believe I just hit this same issue, but with PG 9.1.3:
>
> <@:32407> 2012-08-29 10:02:09 UTC LOG:  shutting down
> <@:32407> 2012-08-29 10:02:09 UTC LOG:  database system is shut down
> <[unknown]@[unknown]:31687> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  connection
> received: host=[local]
> <[unknown]@[unknown]:31687> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  incomplete
> startup packet
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  database system was
> interrupted; last known up at 2012-08-29 13:14:47 UTC
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  entering standby mode
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  redo starts at A92/5F000020
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC FATAL:  could not access status of
> transaction 208177034
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC DETAIL:  Could not read from file
> "pg_multixact/offsets/0C68" at offset 131072: Success.
> <@:31686> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC CONTEXT:  xlog redo create multixact
> 208177034 offset 1028958730: 1593544329 1593544330
> <@:31681> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  startup process (PID 31686)
> exited with exit code 1
> <@:31681> 2012-08-29 13:34:03 UTC LOG:  terminating any other active
> server processes
>
> This was attempting to rebuild a hot standby after switching my master
> to a new server. In between the shutdown and the attempt to restart:
>
>  - The master was put into backup mode.
>  - The datadir was rsynced over, using rsync -ahhP --delete-before
> --exclude=postmaster.pid --exclude=pg_xlog
>  - The master was taken out of backup mode.
>  - The pg_xlog directory was emptied
>  - The pg_xlog directory was rsynced across from the master. This
> included all the WAL files from before the promotion, throughout
> backup mode, and a few from after backup mode was left.
Thats not valid, you cannot easily guarantee that youve not copied files that
were in the progress of being written to. Use a recovery_command if you do not
want all files to be transferred via the replication connection. But do that
only for files that have been archived via an archive_command beforehand.

Did you have a backup label in the rsync'ed datadir? In Maxim's case I could
detect that he had not via line numbers, but I do not see them here...

Greetings,

Andres