Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
 Tirsdag 7. august 2012 23.45.31 skrev Rob Napier :
> I've been building successful database applications for 25 years without a
> problem. So I though the transition to PostgreSQL would not be too
> difficult. Well, it is - if you haven't graduated from college in the last
> 10 years or invested 1000s of hours in private study.

I think that's a mild exaggeration. I found my way to Postgres from MySQL in
2005, and didn't find it particularly hard. I tend to think of myself as a
regular Joe Sixpack type, although I started with CP/M around 1984 and was a
UNIX sysadmin in the Nineties, and never became much impressed by the Redmond
Click-o-Rama paradigm. You may call me a command-line freak if that suits you.

I came to Postgres because I was in the process of developing my own genealogy
database, and was disgusted by MySQL's "relaxed" error-checking. I have never
looked back.

> Unless you folk want to continue being an object-relatively exclusive club,
> you need to make information more accessible. I can cite numerous examples
> in other industries where the second-or-third-best product dominates the
> market by keeping the message simple and the product accessible.

Postgres may appear "geeky" if you judge it by the most verbal part of the
community alone, but from a DB developer's POV it's not harder to work with
than most other RDBMSes. It's certainly different from MySQL, but I for one find
that to be more of an asset than a liability.

regards, Leif
http://code.google.com/p/yggdrasil-genealogy/